8:15pm - 7:02am
Jennifer Anne Eagleton
27 Nov 2015 - 28 Mar 2016
I am an Austrialian; no longer a “foreigner” (hate that term!).... arrvied in HK just after its birth as an SAR. I am a HK “teenager”, and had my 18th anniversary of living in HK late last year.
Staying overnight at the beginning of February was a “stream of consciousness” experience; as I walked around the site, various objects, structures and nature “spoke” to me about my time in Hong Kong. The Art Space could be said to be a microcosm of Hong Kong. The Art Space was really a mirror of my life in this city, my home for 18 years. While on the site, I jotted down my “stream”, my thoughts and did drawings, and took pictures spontaneously – I made these jottings and images into a folder that should be available somewhere in the Art Space in the future.
The following are a few of the photographs I took and a brief thought on each.
1. Oil Street – I can’t help think of “adding oil”, developing, creating, existing vitally
2. The Map – Full of artworks under lock and key; where concepts are gathered.
3. My shadow – is my constant companion, mysterious other half;
4. Shadows Cast – Objects expand in the darkness, but contract in the day;
5. My black hand - is my artistic tool of the night;
6. Midnight Sun – Hong Kong is a planet of many artificial suns, this is just one of them;
7. Door Handle – doors have opened to me in this city; I’m unware of too many closings;
8. Footfall – endless surfaces trod in 18 years;
9. Obedient Chairs – even in the dark night they obey rigidly; I’m afraid to sit on them.
10. Faceless Dolls – Why have they lost face? Was it an artist? How dare they!
I’m a writer/photographer… My contribution is “streams of consciousness” suggested by Oi!’s objects as I walk around the space. I reflect on life in Hong Kong. I also made drawings… and poems. I would like more people participate in art… it shouldn’t be for the elite.